Saturday, December 6, 2008

A New Path

I'm such a list person. I have my things to do today, tomorrow, by the new year, in my lifetime and I find comfort in the organization and the structure. I don't even care if I don't follow the order but I like knowing they are written- a path to follow.

Today, during our CLW inspirational/motivating/encouraging speaker's life story, I found myself questioning the path I thought I planned so long ago. Most people know that I want to be an event planner. I want to create moments remembered for a lifetime, let my clients enjoy their day without worry and chaos. I have always loved planning and organizing and I think I would do an amazing job.

But today, sitting in Hale Sciences, I began to wonder if I really want to be an event planner. Do I say that just because it's comforting? Just because it's a plan? Just because I don't want to say I don't have a plan? On my list, I am an event planner and to steer away from that is a dangerous road. It makes me nervous. I have to get a job right out of college- I have to enter the career force. The pressure, the realizations, it's what I have to actually do and it's creeping up.

I'm tempted to look at jobs online- I don't even know what else is out there. What could someone be with a Communication degree? What would I do after college? Where would I live? The possibilities are endless and beyond scary. But I think recognizing this is the first step. Maybe I don't need a strict life plan- maybe I just need to start walking and see where I end up.

Just no one ask me what I want to do after college.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dylan,

Only become an event planner if you are planning on working on the 2020 Olympics. You are too much to do less.

Lisa