Sunday, March 6, 2011

Journey to Spring

If the Boston winter season was the Dipsea race, we'd be heading into Cardiac. For all you non-Marin-ites, that means the end is near, you've hit that moment you've waited for and finally a downhill, a relief and a sweet reminder of why you're doing this whole thing. But oh wait, before we get to the beach, the warm weather and the blissful payoff, there's one more climb. There's one more snowfall and one more bitter month of cold. But you keep reminding yourself that it's coming to an end and suddenly the whole process doesn't seem so bad. Hell, you'd do it again and because you've toughened it out, you're stronger and you're gonna appreciate that summer glow, wave crashing, green grass between your barefoot toes more than ever.

Shall I continue the race metaphor...
Let's just take note of this journey. I am knee deep in my new job and loving it. I actually enjoy getting up early and taking the T to the financial district, storming the streets in my black heels, high waisted skirt and matching jacket and Starbucks Americano in hand. Strides of pride lead me into the Bank of America headquarters for the better half of my day. Hours of standing and correcting my posture leaves me feeling restless and used by the end of the day but... I like it. I have never felt so accomplished and yes I'm at the bottom and yes I have a lot to learn but I'm so intrigued and so eager to keep moving. My favorite cliche has never applied more- endless opportunities. Who would have thought I'd enter the banking world and not only like it but strive to learn more about it. I can only go up and it's going to be an amazing ride.

Besides this teasing spring weather, Boston is finally, dare I say, becoming my home. Celtics games, awaiting Red Sox season and yes I slipped and said 'wicked' the other day but it's finally somewhere I'm calling my own. A feeling so desperately craved and finally beginning to achieve.

Now that my life has naturally smoothed through all the chaos, I'm able to ponder the future and not stress into oblivion. I am able to start planning weekend summer trips (yay Texas!!!) and start acting like a big girl. I am actually making this little thing called a budget and sticking to it. I am years, decades, ok lifetimes slash never am I going to... severe my ties with the west but I'm making footprints out east. This real world thing is much easier when taken day by day but for now, for this current day, I'm doing the best I can and I suppose that's enough.

No comments: