Sunday, January 18, 2009

The First Adventure

I'm looking forward to spending the next 4 months on a boat because I honestly never want to fly again. ever.

I was delayed for 4 hours yesterday in Austin, Texas. An older Raider's Football fan, I met on my flight, offered to buy me a drink during our delay and for once I was happy to say "sorry I'm only 20."

Apparently Saturday morning is prime time to fly to Florida and take a cruise. So me and every one's grandparents (honestly everyone was 65+) cruised into Ft. Lauderdale at 9pm- 4 hours after our scheduled arrival.

Abby and I stayed up all night freaking out and watching ABC Family movies (Cinderella Story and The Notebook- couldn't get more perfect)

But now we are stuck in Ft. lauderdale. They first delayed our flight and now cancelled it. So here we are- excess baggage, feeling like we're already in foreign country, worried about not even getting on the ship in time but at least we have met 3 other SAS voyagers (and I just keep saying- thank God Abby is here with me now). I've used my stern skills for flying (thank you Uncle Buzz) and talked directly to the Spirit Air representatives and tried to get answers. It's amazing how dysfunctional a company can be- and as I've learned you can get a million different stories for one simple question. But I'm remaining calm and I know this is just the beginning. There are hundreds of things that can go wrong and probably will but you have to be easy going to travel. Besides my back and shoulders killing me from carrying my bags, I don't feel tense at all. Rather I'm laughing, taking pictures and vowing never to fly but just cruise.

I thought my first adventure would occur within the first 9 days at sea- I'm thrilled it has already begun.

No comments: