Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Seasons Of Love

I had the most magical feeling of fall this morning. Somewhere along my walk to the train, the 5:31am Brooklyn bound N train that is, I felt a change in the air. Starbucks grande americano in hand, I waited on the still, moonlit platform and took it all in. Three weeks into my new job and I still obsessed. Obsessed with the absolute chaos, the monstrous amount of post its that define my day, the hours beyond hours that add up to nearly 80 in a week (didn't think that was possible huh?) and the joyous feeling I get every day when I come to school.

Back track- I am seriously working harder than ever. Rather than counting down until the day is over I look at the clock and gasp knowing I only have X amount of time left before the sun goes down and X amount of work to do. The balance is finding itself- the 6:30am - 11:30pm shifts are tucked away for the season and my typical 6:30-6:00pm is refreshing. I am finding ways to max out the entire 24 hours of one day and somehow still manage. But no matter how many hours I work, I am still so unbelievably happy and so thankful for finally getting my time, my opportunity to shine.

It helps that I've made great friends at school (should I be calling it work...)? After spending every waking hour together, we all bonded quickly and formed the types of friendships that typically take months to form. Day in and day out I am surrounded by amazing, inspiring individuals who come from all over with ambitious goals and life views just like my own. It reminds me of camp- an entire group of people who want to be there for the same reasons as you. People don't dread coming to work, people don't hate what we stand for. It is a complete 180 from the bank and finally I feel like I'm where I belong.

These wonderful endless hours have left little to no personal time but it's okay- it's just a phase. I am, however, getting all my personal reading done on the trains (woohoo for book club!) and with a wonderful school calendar I am looking at future plans for February break, spring break, May break... the list goes on. What a wonderful pay off for all the hard work.

We are indulging in our first vacation since getting new jobs and I suppose last vacation of the summer. My dearest freshmen year roommate Erika is tying the knot on Saturday in Boulder! Kevin and I fly out Friday and I cannot wait. Not only do we get to witness Erika and Brad celebrate their vow of love but I get to show off the land of Boulder to Mr. Anglin! I can't wait to see all the besties and reveal the treasured land that holds such a firm spot in my heart. Brunch at The Buff, sunset at Flagstaff, tours of Theta, exploring campus, strolling Pearl and devouring a cup at Boulder Chill are just a few of the stopping points. What more could I ask for than four days to soak up all its glory and share it with my better half?

I believe that wonderful feeling this morning, that slight twinkle that began the turn of fall, is just the beginning. The beginning of a season, the beginning of magical color schemes and the beginning of living in a New York postcard. I think I'll be spending my weekends in the park, curled up on a blanket while the rustic leaves blend yellows and oranges into a simple, heartwarming masterpiece.

2 comments:

R said...

It's Post-its, are you using MMM or generic? You can probably tell who left this comment. Glad you like the new job!

Keeley said...

so happy for you suess!!! love you like crazy you little magicface.